LEAP is here to assist you as you plan your startup business. Through our mentorship program, we can assist with all necessary steps to help your company become profitable. Contact Tony Willis, Director of the New Economy Division at LEAP for more information at: email@example.com.
Region Innovation Network Workgroup (RING)
The Lansing Economic Area Partnership (LEAP) is currently accepting proposals from organizations within Clinton, Eaton and Ingham Counties interested in receiving funding for operations and programming for business incubators. LEAP will award four (4) grants of up to $5,000 each to support unique programming, off-set costs for operation, or to purchase equipment.
The most successful applicants will agree to a memorandum of understanding (MOU) between LEAP and the participating business incubator. The MOU is intended to solidify the adoption of best practices in business incubation and the development of a Regional Incubation Network (RIN) to ensure the long term sustainability of all business incubators within the Greater Lansing region.
The application window for this program is currently closed.
Michigan State University has a long history of successful partnerships with the business community and a hard-earned reputation for creatively applying knowledge to real-world problems.
MSU Business-CONNECT was established to help companies leverage MSU’s wealth of resources more efficiently. The Business-CONNECT team works with companies to align business goals with MSU’s intellectual capacity and ability to deliver, drawing on MSU’s extensive base of human knowledge and source materials, high-end scientific equipment and facilities, and invaluable international connections and educational services.
Spartan Innovations, L3C, is focused on helping to turn MSU innovations – ideas, technologies, creative activities – into successful Michigan businesses. We provide five key resources to support the launch of more MSU start-ups:
- University-wide entrepreneurship education;
- Student stipends to support participation in hands-on new business learning situations;
- CEO mentors-in-residence to help manage new business start-up projects;
- Access to a network of external new venture investors;
- Gap funding to support the earliest stages of MSU technology development.
Institute for Entrepreneurship
- Teaching - To enrich the teaching of entrepreneurship, and support related programs and activities in the Broad College of Business’s undergraduate specialization in entrepreneurship and its MBA secondary concentration in entrepreneurship.
- Research - To advance and promote academic and applied research on entrepreneurship, venture capital and private equity; and to disseminate academic and applied research and core knowledge to our constituents: University, alumni and community high-tech and biotech entrepreneurs; Venture capital and private equity practitioners; The State legislature; The Michigan Economic Development Corporation.
- Outreach - To help stimulate economic development in the State of Michigan and to support the commercialization of Michigan State University’s own innovative ideas based on a wide range of research projects.
MSU Technologies is Michigan State University's technology transfer and commercialization office.
We facilitate the commercial development and public use of technologies and copyrightable materials developed by MSU faculty and staff. Our goal is to move MSU's technologies from the lab to the marketplace to improve lives and communities locally, regionally, and around the world.
To accomplish that goal, our office
- manages the university's extensive intellectual property portfolio, evaluating the commercial potential of each invention
- works with MSU researchers on the invention disclosure and technology transfer process
- protects inventions by filing patent applications
- markets and licenses commercially viable technologies to large corporations and small-to-mid-sized businesses
- works with Spartan Innovations to launch start-up companies based around MSU technologies
- facilitates confidential disclosure and material transfer agreements (CDA/MTA)
MSUT's knowledgeable staff of professionals possesses a useful combination of technical and industry experience and will personally work with both researchers and industry representatives throughout the commercialization process. Find the technology manager assigned to your campus unit.
MSU Technologies is part of the MSU Innovation Center, in collaboration with MSU Business-Connect and Spartan Innovations.
Capitol Region Small Business Development Center
The Small Business Development Center, affiliated with Lansing Community College, provides no-cost counseling, low or no-cost training and market research assistance for entrepreneur startups, existing or expanding businesses and innovative technology ventures in Clinton, Eaton, and Ingham counties.