Position Title: Chief Operating Officer (COO)
Company Name: Lansing Economic Area Partnership (LEAP)
Compensation: Salaried at $96,000 - $110,000 (with performance pay possibilities, 6% 401(k) match, “gold standard” health care benefits including medical, dental, vision, a diverse environment and generous personal time/holidays). The physical office, itself, is exceptional with free parking and is located in the heart of an urban center (REO Town and downtown Lansing).
Position Type: Exempt (Fulltime)
Reports to: Bob Trezise, President and CEO
Chief Operating Officer Position Description (PDF)
*OPEN UNTIL FILLED: Email only please and it must include: Position Title, Cover Letter, Resume and Three Professional References.
*Position may be filled prior to Application Deadline, based on qualified resumes received. Please be assured that all information received is held in the highest confidence.
Submit application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org Attention: Bob Trezise, President and CEO, LEAP.
The COO position is a partnership with the President and CEO, working directly as the right-hand person to the President and CEO. It is expected that the COO shall directly manage and oversee the day to day, very diverse and dynamic office of LEAP, including: Personnel, personnel policies, operations and implementations of economic development programs including all contractual obligations. Continuous design and implementation of LEAP’s business operations and operational improvements, successful progress toward and attainment of annual measurables, assistance with the development of budgets, coordination of staff and departments in ways that most effectively accomplish LEAP’s annual goals as well as development of policies with regard to LEAP’s mission, are all important aspects to the position.
It is important that the COO be well experienced and versed in the economic development field. Additionally, the successful candidate must have excellent people skills, a deep understanding of the private sector and best business practices, respect and acumen for the public side of life and its politics, and possess a very strong work ethic as well as sense of strong loyalty.
The day to day goal of the COO is to help the Board of Directors, Executive Committee and President and CEO, and staff drive LEAP toward its continuation of becoming the nation’s best regional economic development agency, assisting the three counties of Greater Lansing and all of its diverse people, via business, developers and entrepreneurs, to grow, thrive, prosper and be happy.
- Oversee all the daily, operational issues of LEAP, including: All contracts, HR, IT, Attraction, Entrepreneurialism, Business Development, Marketing efforts, Placemaking (and all its program facets), Finance and Budget.
- Continuously coordinate staff and departments as they work together toward a unified, successful implementation of effective policy, programs and measureable results.
- Assist with further development of the LEAP Strategic Plan.
- Assist in setting comprehensive goals, monitoring, and coordination for performance.
- Maximize a diverse and dynamic office floor of employees and the departments, on a daily basis, toward achieving the highest levels of performance.
- Evaluation of performance measureables.
- Responsible for all submission of reports to the President & CEO.
- Assist the President & CEO in managing relations with LEAP members and local partners.
- Proven management experience as a Chief Operating Office or relevant leadership role.
- Understanding of business functions such as HR, Finance, IT, Budgets, Marketing, Measurements, as well as Economic Development.
- Experience with implementing and enhancing strategic planning and business development.
- Experience in economic development.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Public speaking abilities.
- Great abilities in decision-making and problem-solving.
- B.A., P.A. or comparable degree or experience.
- Absolute integrity, loyalty and confidentiality.
- Possess a strong working knowledge of the internet and proficient use of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint software.
- Reliable transportation for travel throughout the region.Transportation costs are covered through mileage reimbursement outside of immediate area.