The City of Lansing Façade Improvement Program provides targeted assistance for improving the appearance and structural conditions of building façades in highly visible and critical areas of the City.
- Application Open Until: April 1, 2020
- Application will close when all grant funds have been committed.
- Project Completion and Reimbursement Submission Deadline: May 31st, 2020
Eligibility and Requirements
The program is directed at commercial, office and mixed-use buildings adjacent to main corridors and neighborhood nodes within the City of Lansing.
- Property owners and tenants are eligible to apply, but if a tenant applies the building owner must support the improvements in writing.
- Eligible activities are for a building façade only but may include windows, signage, lighting, and improvements to create barrier free and accessible entryways as part of the overall façade improvement.
- No activity will be eligible that is separate from an overall façade. For instance, landscaping/ streetscaping and light poles are not eligible.
- All improvements must be fixed/permanent.
- Previous façade improvements and unapproved work will not be funded.
- Applicants must match at least 50% of requested grant funds.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
The Façade Improvement Program offers three types of flexible grant awards. Applications are considered on a first come, first served basis.
Full Grant - $10,000 and above
For façade projects totaling $10,000 and above, grant funds will provide a “dollar for dollar” match (50% of the total project cost) up to a maximum $20,000 award. This award is for façade projects involving substantial restoration, rehabilitation, or replacement. The grant funds are provided on a reimbursement basis and offers no upfront money.
Micro-Façade/Sign Grant – Less than $10,000
For façade projects with a total cost under $10,000, grant funds will provide a “dollar for dollar” match (50% of the total project cost) up to a maximum $5,000 award. This award is for small façade projects or for projects that consist of limited improvements including signage, paint, window/door repair, lighting and entryways. The grant funds are provided on a reimbursement basis and offers no upfront money.
Design Program Award – Up to $2,000
For development of renderings/ façade designs and material specifications to assist with the application of a matching grant award. Up to a $2,000 award value per applicant (total of $10,000 available in this category). Further architectural/engineering costs related to the façade that are beyond the award value are the responsibility of the applicant, but may be approved as match for a future grant award. Pre-application form and letter of commitment to façade improvement are required. Applications for these funds are considered on a case by case basis.
Pre-application and commitment to façade improvement is required. Pre-application submission does not guarantee funding. If your pre-application is approved you will be invited to submit a full application packet. Awardees must be approved and enter into a Grant and Design Agreement prior to the start of any work.
You Will Need
- Property address and owner information
- Estimated cost of improvements and private investment
- Photographs of current facade
- Tenants Only: Copy of an Owner Permission Letter to upload (doc, docx, pdf allowed)
- Optional: Supporting documentation (budget, estimates, project schedule, etc.)
Tenant Application Owner Application