The City of Lansing Façade Improvement Program provides targeted assistance for improving the appearance and structural conditions of building façades in highly visible and critical areas of the City.
Eligibility and Requirements
The program is directed at commercial, office and mixed-use buildings adjacent to main corridors and neighborhood nodes within the City of Lansing.
- Property owners and tenants are eligible to apply, but if a tenant applies the building owner must support the improvements in writing.
- Eligible activities are for a building façade only but may include windows, signage, lighting, and improvements to create barrier free and accessible entryways as part of the overall façade improvement.
- No activity will be eligible that is separate from an overall façade. For instance, landscaping/ streetscaping and light poles are not eligible.
- All improvements must be fixed/permanent.
- Previous façade improvements and unapproved work will not be funded.
- Applicants must match at least 50% of requested grant funds.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
The Façade Improvement Program offers three types of flexible grant awards. Applications are considered on a first come, first served basis.
Full Grant - $10,000 and above
For façade projects totaling $10,000 and above, grant funds will provide a “dollar for dollar” match (50% of the total project cost) up to a maximum $20,000 award. This award is for façade projects involving substantial restoration, rehabilitation, or replacement. The grant funds are provided on a reimbursement basis and offers no upfront money.
Micro-Façade/Sign Grant – Less than $10,000
For façade projects with a total cost under $10,000, grant funds will provide a “dollar for dollar” match (50% of the total project cost) up to a maximum $5,000 award. This award is for small façade projects or for projects that consist of limited improvements including signage, paint, window/door repair, lighting and entryways. The grant funds are provided on a reimbursement basis and offers no upfront money.
Design Program Award – Up to $2,000
For development of renderings/ façade designs and material specifications to assist with the application of a matching grant award. Up to a $2,000 award value per applicant (total of $10,000 available in this category). Further architectural/engineering costs related to the façade that are beyond the award value are the responsibility of the applicant, but may be approved as match for a future grant award. Pre-application form and letter of commitment to façade improvement are required. Applications for these funds are considered on a case by case basis.
- Application Period Open: July 1st, 2019
- Application Period Closed: February 15th, 2020
- Project Completion and Reimbursement Submission Deadline: May 31st, 2020
Pre-application and commitment to façade improvement is required. Pre-application submission does not guarantee funding. If your pre-application is approved you will be invited to submit a full application packet. Awardees must be approved and enter into a Grant and Design Agreement prior to the start of any work.
You Will Need
- Property address and owner information
- Estimated cost of improvements and private investment
- Photographs of current facade
- Tenants Only: Copy of an Owner Permission Letter to upload (doc, docx, pdf allowed)
- Optional: Supporting documentation (budget, estimates, project schedule, etc.)
Tenant Application Owner Application