2020 VIRTUAL Youth Startup Expo
Due to the global concerns surrounding the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), LEAP has decided to transform our 7th Annual Youth Startup Expo into a virtual business pitch competition.
As opposed to holding a physical event on March 24th, we are asking you to submit a 5-minute video pitch
about your business, which will be judged virtually along with the business plan you/your team has already submitted. You will still be competing for more than $10,000 in cash prizes and other surprise gifts
Videos should be uploaded by the April 30, 2020.
Your video pitch should be a single recording submitted on behalf of your business. If your business is a team, one team member should participate in the recorded pitch, and only one person must submit the video.
Submit Your Video Pitch
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize winners will be awarded to the top-scoring projects in the following groups:
- Grades 4-6
- Grades 7-9
- Grades 10-12
- One overall Grand Prize winner
- Winner Educator
Creating a Winning Video
Submitting your Video
In the registration process, you will be able to upload your video or paste a link to your video in the submission form.
- If you upload your video directly to the form, please make sure your video is in MP4 format.
- If you upload your video to YouTube, upload the video as PUBLIC or UNLISTED. Do not set videos to private, as judges will not be able to view it.
- You can create a channel just for your video or upload to a family member’s channel.
- Copy and paste the YouTube video link into your online registration.
- You can also use links to Dropbox. Make sure that the settings allow other people to view the link.
Receiving and Using Feedback
Your video pitch will be judged by experts in the field who will give feedback and critique. Receiving feedback and making changes based on that feedback is an important part of improving your invention! Make sure you record judge feedback in your business journal and note any changes that you make to your business. Remember that feedback is part of the process.
Q: I don’t have access to the internet. How can I complete registration?
A: Check out some national internet providers. While schools are closed, Xfinity and AT&T are providing free WiFi hotspots to non-subscribers. Additionally, contact your teacher and let them know that you might need some assistance registering.
Q: My video isn’t done yet and I worked on a team. Do we all have to be in the video?
A: No. During this time of social distancing, we do not encourage teams to get together in person to film their videos. One member of the team can do the pitch by themselves. Alternatively, teams can use a videoconferencing platform, like Zoom, to record their pitch and upload that to YouTube.
Submit Your Video Pitch
Participants can submit their video pitch to the Virtual Youth Startup Expo here. If you have any other questions about submitting your pitch or the Virtual Youth Startup Expo, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!